Wednesday 24 November 2010

Life drawing

For this weeks life drawing, we weren't allowed to use line, and only use tone to create the figure.
This image was my first one, and i didn't know where to start for about 5 minutes. But then i started to look closer and saw the different tones and went from there. I actually started with the dark shadow under her arm and built up from there. I worked with pencil and built up the layers and smudged them together with my fingers (very messy). Even though this was a 40 minute drawing, i only managed to get the arm and upper torso done so i was kinda disappointed with that. But i did like what i had done as the tones really worked.
This second one i tried to work faster, but found it harder to draw as the model's back was facing me. I tried to pick out as many tones as i could and blend them. The most tones were round the muscles near the lower back so i emphasised those as much as i could. I also added the hair and tones to that as i found that quite easy to do with my pencil. I also quite liked the way the crease in the elbow turned out as that was a bit fiddly for me.
This final image got a bit smudged on the way home. I tried repairing it, but it's hard without the model there. For this image, i again started with the dark shadow under her arm and built up round her stomach, arm and leg from there. I found with this one, i couldn't get the dark tones dark enough so had to keep going back over them then readjusting the rest of them to match the whole drawing. I really feel i work too slow with pencil and get quite annoyed that i dont end up with a finished drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment